Could vitamin levels be low in the sunshine state of Florida?The Sources of Good Nutrition Having a nutritious diet nourishes our bodies and gives us the energy we need to live active lives. When we don’t eat an adequate amount of healthy foods our health begins to suffer consequences. Are you getting enough nutrition from the six nutrients?
- Water: This important nutrient helps our bodies to regulate body temperature, dissolve and carry other nutrients, and remove toxins. Good food sources are fruits and vegetables.
- Protein: Builds healthy tissues, hormones, and antibodies. Sources include meat, seafood, dairy products, nuts, and legumes.
- Carbohydrates: Produces energy from the intake of rice, pasta, milk, fruit, and cereals.
- Lipids: A good energy source from nuts, seeds, avocados, vegetable oils, butter, and margarine.
- Vitamins: Enables normal cell growth. Good sources include fruits, vegetables, full-fat dairy, and cereals.
- Minerals: Helps maintain bone health, muscles and the nervous system. Excellent mineral sources include milk, red meat, seafood, and vegetables.
Symptoms of Vitamin and Nutrient DeficienciesFortunately, if diagnosed in time, vitamin and nutrient deficiencies can be reversed without lingering symptoms. There are a few telltale signs of lack of nutrition and these can help your doctor diagnose your complications. A blood test is a sure way to know the exact cause of troubling symptoms. If you suspect such a deficiency you may be suffering from:
- Hair loss
- Muscle weakness
- Balance troubles
- Dry skin
- Cognitive difficulties
- Healing from wounds is slow
- Bone pain
- Irregular heartbeat
Check your Vitamin and Nutrition Levels It’s convenient to check for nutritional deficiencies with the help of a professional lab. Blood tests will measure the levels of nutrients in your system. Common tests include: Expanded Vitamin Panel: Checks the levels of multiple vitamin levels in the blood for possible nutrient deficiencies. Your doctor will tell you if you require supplements to your diet.Comprehensive Vitamin Panel: Levels of iron, several vitamins and ferritin are measured in the blood for signs of problems. Gluten Sensitivity Screen: Tests for abnormal levels of antibodies produced by the body when it cannot process gluten. Indicates celiac disease, a wheat allergy, and gluten sensitivity.